Tips for Selling Your Home
Tips for Selling Your Home
If you're looking to sell in the greater Athens, Georgia area (see footer to determine whether you are in my service area), I would be happy to help you determine your home's value and explain my marketing strategy. If you're not in my area, I can help you find a great go-getter professional in your area. Either way, call Mackenzie Luke
Follow Mackenzie Luke, REALTOR®'s board Tips for Home Sellers on Pinterest.
- Get your updated loan information - how much you owe and any early payoff fees.
- Gather other information about your home that would be used in a seller disclosure: any homeowner's insurance claims, homeowner's association information, ages of appliances, termite bond, renovations, etc.
- Find a professional to work with - make sure your agent communicates well and that you get along. If you are outside of my area (Athens, Georgia and the surrounding counties), ask me about our wonderful referral network – I can find you a great agent anywhere!
- Have the agent explain how they will market your property and how frequently they will update you throughout the process.
- Discuss price: you do have the final say on price, but be aware that you appeal to many more people if you are priced at market value. Market value also means price can be based on the condition of your home. Make sure you do not put off any repairs needed, as those might cause a buyer to lower their offer price.
- Discuss your costs to sell: commissions, attorney fees, prorated costs (such as taxes and homeowner's association fees), and any work that might need to be done in order to make your home look its best.
- De-clutter and de-personalize the space. Remove and store any extraneous furniture, books, pictures, etc. Re-paint as needed (a fresh coat of paint can do wonders for any home, but this can be especially important if you have bright or taste-specific colors).
- Stage the home to appeal to as many people as possible. Use neutral colors on the walls, clean EVERYTHING (especially trim and windows, often forgotten areas that can make a big difference in how the home appears), and ask your agent for other tips specific to your home.
- Do not commit to buying another house before you sell your own unless you can afford to pay for both. And get pre-approved for a new loan if you intend to buy another home. Make sure that you can get what you want in a new home before committing to sell your current home.
- Be patient. Get updates from your agent, and hold them accountable for how they said they would market your home. Check out your home's listing online on multiple sites and make sure the pictures and descriptions are accurate and highlight the best features of your home. If you come across anything inaccurate, inform your agent as soon as possible.
Note: These are general tips for selling your home, but if you would like to hear more information and get tips specific to your unique situation, please contact Mackenzie Luke at 678-296-5053.